Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Saw a Butterfly for the First Time in My Life

The mist in the air was quite refreshing after a long day in the kitchen.  I gazed upon the waterfall as subtle droplets fell upon my feet.  The water lilies sat on the surface of the stream and a small butterfly was mounted on the bright pink flower.  I reached out my hand for it to come to me, but it quickly flew away.  Did I smell that bad?  Flour and sunbaked soil didn’t mix well from personal experiences.  If I lived in such a magical place such as this, the slightest smell would disturb me.  I realize it’s time to get cleaned up.

I decided to walk back home to shower and get the kids situated before the night fell.  Disgusting I thought, but it felt like a second layer of skin, something I was too attached to.  I rung the towel under the water and rubbed it all across my skin.  The warmth relaxed every muscle in my left arm, from trying to fix the back wheel on our wagon.  As my mother always told me, hard work will always pay off.

A little butterfly came by and sat right on Farkle's bicycle.  This was the exact same butterfly that I had seen earlier by the falls.  This time when I extended my hand, it gently crawled up my finger.  The birds were finally coming to life and flew from the tree right above my head.  What are the odds of seeing the same butterfly in one day?  I was quite fascinated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment